The Grow Model
Coaching has become a buzz word, it has come into vogue with many organisations, as it is seen as a money spinner with the HR, Learning and Development and the Personal Coaching community.
There are several models which are appropriate for coaching one of which is mentioned in this article, the GROW Model. All work and all have there place and position within the framework of coaching. Below is the framework and questions for the GROW Model, as they say anyone can read from a piece of paper and listen to the answers. However, that won’t and doesn’t make you a coach regardless of whether you have a piece of paper to say so. Coaching requires a little more than the aforementioned.
Let me outline a few of the basics to look and listen for in the framework below.
- What is the goal of this discussion: The client may not know why they are there! At this point you have to play detective verbally and non verbally looking for signs of congruency between phrases and statement and the timing with the non verbal gestures.
- What do you want to achieve (short and long term)? Once congruency has been established, you have to find signs of motivation
- Is it an end goal or a performance goal? What’s the difference, well it’s the difference between and end goal, once achieved the satisfaction has been attained and achieved. or a performance goal meaning it implies an on-going goal to a higher point of excellence than the end goal with no end date or an end date much further in the distance.
- If it is an end goal, what is a performance goal related to it? So the end goal by it’s very nature will come to an end and if achieved will have one or a number of performance goals contained within the end goal. these need to be ranked, set, and focused using as steps in the staircase to the end goal. By not focusing on the overall structure of the end goal, the individual performance goals may be missed and if so the end goal may not be achieved.
- When do you want to achieve it by? When, what time and where, with who and why them, what’s there purpose in the final finale. Is it in your timeline can you see it, hear it, feel it when you go out to visualise the end date.
- How is that positive, challenging, attainable, and measurable? Do you feel good as a result of the achievement , if not, why not? is it attainable, does it challenge you, can you see the progress and can that progress be measured and monitored to see what is required where and when.
These are just the basics, the questions Reality, Options and Will are below, read, digest, think them through, how would you approach them and what would you listen, and look for in your client and then click to review the Coaching to Greatness public event. or contact us to talk over your in house options.
- What is happening now? (WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, HOW MUCH)
- Who is involved?
- What have you done about this so far?
- What results did that produce?
- What is happening both internally and externally?
- What are the major constraints to finding a way forward?
- What options do you have?
- What else could you do?
- What if…?
- Would you like another suggestion?
- What are the benefits and cost of each?
- What are you going to do?
- When are you going to do it?
- Will this meet your goal?
- What obstacles could you face?
- How will you overcome them?
- Who needs to know?
- What support do you need?
- How will you get that support?
The GROW Model has a multitude of questions within the questions and the need to equip yourself with non-verbal behavioural observations. The Goal setting piece has been expanded to give you a very brief look at great coaches are thinking.
If you would like to experience coaching at the highest level which will motivate, inspire and deliver results, all you need to do to organise an introductory session is reply via the contact form and we can get a date in the diary.